Monday, September 5, 2022

                                   NEW MAPS OF HELL
NEWS BIAS GRAPHS & THE POST-PAULI EXCLUSION PRINCIPLE

Here is my response to the query  received  last week at ATTP.  To oblige Mal & Mike, I've re-arranged  the Left to Right alphabetical Allsides chart in the light of my own bandwidth bias, dropping a few elements I've never seen and cannot judge:


Russell:

some cautionary comparison of how loudly tiny political and academic cliques can be amplified on your choice of Fox or PBS.

I’d appreciate your take on the AdfontesMedia and Allsides media bias charts. The AdfontesMedia chart is paywalled, but PBS and FoxNews both appear on the thumbnail view at the link. The Allsides chart is freely available at the link; PBS isn’t on it, but NPR is. Do you think either chart is accurate?


I took a quick look at allsides and I note that it purports to classify media bias, but not media accuracy. I think any evaluation of our media options ought to start with an accuracy evaluation, then follow with the bias evaluation. I think a media evaluation that does not start with general accuracy and fact checking is a waste of time. 

I imagine that there is some sense that the middle of the media bias spectrum is the most accurate, but I suspect that the bias and accuracy measures may be largely independent. 

Cheers Mike

In the era of Cronkite and McLuhan, Life and The Saturday Evening Post, Mass Media  were self-defined by their mass audiences, in contrast to small magazines with small numbers of readers , which produced a mildly Gaussian distribution of politics on newsstand racks. 

But the center has not held. In the original AllSides chart, such mutually repulsive organs as Forbes, Newsweek, the BBC and the WSJ  are crammed into one centrist ground state. Today the once bipartisan center is largely vacant, populated by deadpan stock market reports and anodyne newspapers like the CSM and USAToday

Whatever happened to the Exclusion Principle?