Monday, November 27, 2023

WHEN DOES THIS CAMEL TRAIN STOP AT THE NEXT COP?

 
Lord Monckton writes of his last excursion to the Persian Gulf:


The climate camel – going nowhere, uncomfortably

From Monckton of Arabia
Somewhere in the desert, Qatar

A camel, as Winston Churchill used to say, is an animal designed by committee. The climate scare, like a camel, is an animal designed by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change...

Under the rustling palm-trees by the balmy shore of the Gulf, I approached my first camel, Aziz, with that intrepid curiosity that built a great Empire. I addressed Aziz with an elegant quatrain…. Aziz listened politely, nuzzled me in a friendly way, sniffed my hand thoughtfully, slobbered over it liberally, and then directed a long nostril at my face to get better acquainted. I stroked his neck, wiping the slobber off on it, and he burbled contentedly.

His handler, with a rapid “chk-chk-chk”, brought him down to his knees and told me to climb on quick. Not quick enough. Before I was halfway into the cloth-covered saddle, Aziz lurched to his feet... flinging me into 
 a convenient sand-dune… Sand sprayed in all directions and… I forgot to emulate William the Conqueror by grabbing a fistful of sand and saying, “See, I hold all Araby in my hand” ....

The object of the exercise was to obtain four camels affix to their flanks bold placards bearing the words
 “STOP” “CLIMATE” “HYPE” and the “CFACT” logo
of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow,... to get a suitably atmospheric photograph of our simple message against the backdrop of the verdant palms, the golden sands, the azure sea and the cerulean sky.