Thursday, June 15, 2023

   BE THANKFUL CLIMATE WEEK COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR

Mayor spoke candidly about day in 2014 he dropped Charlotte the groundhog

Before you move on...consider taking the step of supporting the Guardian’s journalism. 

From Elon Musk to Rupert Murdoch, a small number of billionaire owners have a powerful hold on so much of the information that reaches the public about what’s happening in the world. 

The Guardian is different. 

‘The whole thing was insane’: 

Bill de Blasio on dropping groundhog that later died

The former New York mayor has addressed perhaps the saddest controversy of his time at City Hall: the day he dropped a groundhog, which subsequently died.

Asked if he had any regrets, De Blasio said:

 

“Yeah. 100%. I’m like, ‘Don’t make me hold a fucking groundhog.’ I mean, what the hell? 

“I go there and it’s seven in the morning, which means my motor skills are not at their best. I put on these gloves, and they’re like, ‘Here’s a groundhog.’ I’m like, ‘What the fuck?’...

“It was idiocy. Why would you want an elected official to hold a groundhog? I don’t know anything about holding groundhogs. So the whole thing is just insane. There’s an original sin here. Don’t hand someone a groundhog, right?

“Only trained groundhog holders. And do you squeeze it really tight?"

Charlotte was found dead a week later. A necropsy determined the animal died of internal injuries.

He was wearing gloves in 2014 because five years before, a groundhog bit Michael Bloomberg.

skip past newsletter promotion